Sunday, June 6, 2010

Crazy

This past week has just been insane. We planned on seeing the Granger's over Memorial Day weekend, it was supposed to be a down and up trip. One weekend. Then, Wednesday (26th) Andy schedules an interview down in Tallahassee the following week. Mom calls me in the morning to tell me that Grandma is not doing so well and that she likely wouldn't last too much longer. Our 3 day get away, turned into a long week adventure. I got the news Grandma passed on Friday morning, the morning we left for the Granger's.


The weekend was fun for the most part. The ride down was hard, I always hate driving long distances. It gives my mind too much opportunity to wander. I kept thinking about my Grandma and getting on the verge of tears, then I would remind myself that she is in a much better place and that she is no longer suffering. Episodes like that happened frequently over the weekend, any time I wasn't otherwise amused with something my mind would wander. I stayed up late watching shows on my computer just so that I could deny my mind a chance to dwell. Overall, it was a bittersweet weekend. I had a lot of fun times and it was nice to see my friends. I took tons of pictures.

Then we headed off to Tallahassee. A 10 hour drive from Greensboro. We arrived at Rico's house and went out for a drink. We ate lunch at his restaurant the following day. Very strange. There is no menu. You get seated and are handed a silver bowl with an idea list on what to make. You take your bowl to the buffet style line and load up on meat (all raw), seasonings, vegetables, sauce, and select your starch. You give your bowl to the chef in the back who makes your food on a giant grill. They give you ideas, or recipe cards you can choose from, or you can make whatever comes to mind. It was very good, and inexpensive. The margarita was fantastic.

Andy's interview took about 3 hours. He feels good about it, but we won't know anything for about a couple of weeks.

Then we left to drive home. We got into PBG that night. The next morning was the funeral. As soon as I walked into the room with the casket I had to cry. My grandma was a beautiful woman. Always had a joke, poem, or song for ANY occasion. She was, your fairy tale grandmother. All about the kids. I miss her very much. The memorial service was wonderful. Her music therapist, minister, and sons took turns. They had my grandmother playing on the speakers above, reciting one of her poems. Mom did not prepare me for what happened next. You see, at our wedding my grandmother sang the song "Always".
These are the lyrics-

I'll be loving you always,
With a love that's true always.
When the things you plan
Need a helping hand,
I will understand, always, always....

Days may not be fair always,
That's when I'll be there always,
Not for just an hour,
Not for just a day,
Not for just a year, but always.

Her musical therapist got up there and sang that song. I think you could hear my snot tears all the way in the back, along with the heaving that you do when you're trying to suppress the cry. You know what I mean, you do that huh huh huh huh huh, try and take a deep breathe and then huh huh huh huh huh.

After that I was OK. They played a song my grandma used to sing a lot over the speakers, and she ended it with the words "I got a standing ovation for that one" and we all clapped. We drove to the cemetery, and Erika (Grammy's musical therapist) sang some more songs. I was good until she sang a song that they both sang together a lot, "You are my Sunshine". The second and third verses it went "Ginny is our sunshine, our only sunshine, she makes you happy when skies are grey" and so on and so forth. If you knew my Grandma, you'd know that's how she'd want to go out. Music and poems. It was beautiful and tragic all at the same time.

The next day I spent with my family. Kristi was working, so Mom and Jeff and I all went out and did some errands. I had a yummy mid-day meal with the Jones'. The following day, mom got new tires put on my car. A gift from Grandma she says, since that was my inheritance she used to get them. Fine by me.

This week I don't have much worked lined up. One day so far. I'll be working on my Grandma's cookbook in the meantime.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww I really wish I could've been there! It sounds like it was an amazing funeral and that it was just what she wanted.

    P.S. I'm glad you FINALLY got new tires. You needed them.

    ReplyDelete