Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Fresh Start? It Still Feels the Same.

So in most ways, moving back to Florida was definitely better. I feel like a nicer person living here. One of the first things I noticed on moving back was that I don't cuss nearly as much while I'm on the road. Of course I've had the occasional "you moron" and the "you really don't know how to drive do you?" But no F-bombs thus far. I'm happier here despite the job search not going as planned.

I've applied to several places, I have at least 5 applications in with the department of education. It's only been 3 weeks since I started searching and applying, so I have to keep the faith. I broke down and went for an interview at a restaurant. I sat in the parking lot and stared in my side mirror at the restaurant behind me. I was reflecting upon the fact that I'm 26 and am sitting in the parking lot of a restaurant, again. This is not where I thought I would be professionally. I had to mentally psych myself up. "Think about networking, you'll be getting out of the house, you'll be building up your savings." It put me in a better mood, so I went in. It was just after three when I sat down. I waited 20 minutes, sat down and was asked 3 questions, "What position are you applying for, name a strength, name a weakness" - I answered those and was told that I was great. Amazing- such hard questions... Next I interviewed with the General Manager who asked me "Why don't you want to be a manager? I'll get with R and see where we can fit you in." Later I get a call from R asking me how the interview went, I tell him, he says the GM wants me as a manager. I know R doesn't, or at least he's making it sound like he doesn't. To be honest I don't want to either. I know I hang a lot of blind optimism on the word "if" but if I get called in for an interview somewhere, I'll have a lot more flexibility as a server than a manager.

Writing this just gets me depressed. I saw an article where they project unemployment to be high for at least another decade. How can they even forecast that? And what a load of confidence. I always thought I'd be something. I just don't know what it is. It's so much easier to sit back and think about the things I know I wouldn't enjoy, or wouldn't like doing-why is it so difficult to pin point what it is I would actually like?

I did start volunteering with the Girl Scouts. A friend of mine is a troop leader and wanted me to come help her. So, now I'm co-leader. Which is pretty neat, and a lot of fun. It's giving me something to do. :)

Otherwise, I can't sleep. It's almost 2 am. I was laying in bed from 11:30 to about 1:30am but couldn't get my brain to just stop thinking. Random thoughts. If only my thoughts were compartmentalized, kept in individual tupperware containers. I could just close all the containers and stop the thoughts-at least for a little while.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Jen! Stop being so down on yourself! I've been working at a restaurant for 7 years! It's hardly something to be ashamed of. It's a job. Period. In this day and age you have to take jobs where they come and find ways to be content with them. Something will come along eventually. Be grateful that you are still safe and well-fed. I understand completely about no sleep though. I've been having this problem too. :(

    ReplyDelete